Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  My Canarian Hero
  My Bookshelf
  White Space or What
  Character Changes & Happy Endings
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Time Management
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Today I downloaded a little alarm clock programme and timed my writing. I've wanted one for ages, not only for the book but for my paid writing - the stuff that pays the bills and buys my teenage daughter hair dye and shoes and things.

The idea with the alarm clock as far as the book goes was to set myself a time that I'd dedicate to that writing and not let anything else disturb me. I turned off email and shut my browser. Any research I'd need to do could be left until after my hour of writing - I'd just leave a gap where that stuff could be added later.

From 11:30 until 12:30 I wrote. In that time I managed to get down 1,202 words so as far as I'm concerned, it was a success. And those thousand or so words moved the story on considerably too, so I'm pretty chuffed. Far better to write for a solid hour than to write in snips and snaps as I usually do. From now on, I shall be far more organised time wise.

If you're interested, the programme I'm using is called "Kirby Alarm and Task Scheduler" and costs the grand sum of nothing. It's freeware and, should you want to check it out, it's available from this website. It's got lots of little cool features like sending an email at a specified time, or opening a programme. It can even let you know if a file has changed size. I like it, anyway.

Nantwich Writers' Group
Last night we had our writers' group meeting at Penny Jordan's house. It was the first meeting I'd managed to get to so far this year so I'd been looking forward to it. So many faces I hadn't seen since either New Year's Eve at Penny's or longer. It was good to catch up.

Penny was her usual inspirational self, full of fun and giggles. And it was probably mostly down to her comment that I'm not focused enough that I decided to do the time management thing. I did make sure I told her that I've become far more focused on actually finishing a story this time, though. It will happen! It will, honestly.

Luckily I'm one of two members who isn't worried about rejection. My philosophy is that if it doesn't sell, what's changed? My life will remain exactly as it was. Nobody will have died because of it and no other tragedy will have occurred. And there's always another story. One day they'll buy one... I hope :-)

~~+~~
Posted by Sharon J on 12:39 PM   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home