Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Formula or Not?
  The Group, The Story and The Picnic
  Several Manuscripts in One Place?
  TPN - Total Parenteral Nutrition
  At Last! Bring Out The Booze!
  Naming Characters Part II
  Naming Characters
  Writing Spaces
  Liz is my real life heroine!
  Flesch Scores
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Map
Friday, July 07, 2006
I've put one of those map things on the sidebar, right down at the bottom, because I saw some other folks had one and thought it looked good.

I'm going to be honest, though. I haven't put it there for research purposes. I have no books to sell so what would I be researching? No, my map is there purely because I'm a nosey cow who likes to know what's going on.

'Tis interesting, is the map. During the two days is been there, this blog has been visited by people from:

UK (surprise, surprise)
The Czech Republic
Iceland
Sweden
France
Malta
Canada (Toronto)
Australia (Sydney)
US

When it comes to the American visitors, they've been from:

California
Utah
Florida (several)
Alabama
Pasadena
New York

Interesting, eh? No? What do you mean, no? You don't care where I get my visitors from? Oh well... it pleases my tiny mind.

Anyway, if you recognise yourself from the list, give me a shout. I'd love to know who's from where.

TODAY'S LINK
I found this one a while ago and have found it very useful in helping me develop my characters and, not least, remembering those little character traits that can so often be forgotten.

The Character Chart includes all sorts of details, most of which I never actually use but are still useful to know because they're part of the character. Things like past failures that they'd hate anybody to know about, how they're perceived by strangers, how they like to spend a rainy day, whether they're frugal, a spendthrift or somewhere in between, and what they're most prized possessions are all go to make the character 3-dimentional.

Take my latest two heroines (the only ones you've ever heard about). Sherry would hate having to walk anywhere in the rain, while Darcie loves the feel of summer rain on her skin. To my mind, those two differences make them very different characters.

Leo's first memory was of his father lifting him onto a donkey's back as they brought the day's harvest back from the fields. Alex's first memory is of sitting on a chair in a designer clothes shop waiting for his mother who was trying on a dress. Just knowing those first memories tells me that these two people had very different upbringings.

I don't use every item on the chart but as I said, it's worth taking a look at if only to give you a few new ideas of ways to flesh out your characters.





~~+~~

Technorati Tags: Fictional Characters, Writing Fiction
Posted by Sharon J on 4:56 PM   

2 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

That would be me in NY last week (I think).

9:51 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's nice to see that somebody is willing to own up to visiting me :)

1:30 PM   


Post a Comment

<< Home