Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Map
  Formula or Not?
  The Group, The Story and The Picnic
  Several Manuscripts in One Place?
  TPN - Total Parenteral Nutrition
  At Last! Bring Out The Booze!
  Naming Characters Part II
  Naming Characters
  Writing Spaces
  Liz is my real life heroine!
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
I Cried
Saturday, July 08, 2006
I've just finished A Mother For His Daughter by Ally Blake and cried at the end.

Ok... go on, laugh at me. Finished? Good.

I have to admit that I'm pre-menstrual at the moment and tend to get weepy (have been known to cry at Coronation Street) but this is a seriously good read. One of the best 'Tender' stories I've read, anyway. It's full of unexpected twists and turns, the hero is absolutely adorable, and while I have to admit to not much liking the heroine to start with—she came across as immature and 'common' and I couldn't quite understand why the hero had fallen for her—she definitely grew on me.

I knew straight away, within the first few pages, that this was going to be a good read, and I believe I emailed Ally and told her so. If I didn't, then I certainly intended to (it's the memory, y'know... ). She took me straight to Rome - I was there, sitting by the Trevi Fountain, watching the gorgeous Italian as he looked around him, trying to locate his daughter.

It's a shame HMB books are only available for a short time because this is one that I'm sure anybody who generally enjoys 'Tender' romance would love. Your local library may well have it, though, and it's still available on Amazon, albeit at a ridiculously inflated price.

This was the first book I'd read by Ally Blake but it certainly won't be the last. She's now right there at the top of my 'must read' list.

Now... what next to read? A Liz Fielding, I think :-)



~~+~~

Technorati Tags: Romantic Novels
Posted by Sharon J on 2:54 AM   

8 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Sharon, I can send you an 'invite' for Googlemail if you wish but you will have to mail me your email address. It will give you the information about the services but you don't have to take it up if you don't like it.
The 'chat' feature just adds a little to your mails and you can 'talk' to non- googlers as well!

8:29 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am on my way to your blog to leave my address now, Minx.

10:33 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with crying? I love books that make me cry. I feel like I didn't waste my money buying them.

I love a good cry.

2:13 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherry. The Incredible Journey does it for me every time! But yes, you're right, she's a very clever author indeed.

Karen. That one question "What's wrong with crying?" made me stop and think. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all but I think my childhood/teenage influences mostly told me that crying was a sign of weakness when in fact, the opposite is true. It's actually a sign of strength because strength is in being tough and brave enough to care. My mum cries at films, but my dad always poo-poo'ed anything like that. She was a "daft cow" as far as he was concerned if she shed a tear watching a sad film. He was very much a 'stiff upper lip' Brit who believed that showing emotions was a sign of weakness. Because I desperately wanted his approval (something I don't feel I ever got), I did everything within my power to hide my feelings.

Thanks for giving me something to think about, Karen.

1:28 PM   


Blogger Fiona Harper said...

Sharon, I cry at practically every M&B I read. Ally's books are fab, aren't they? I love her quirky style.

5:48 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiona. It's the fact that I rarely cry over a book that surprised me with Ally's book. It must've been good to get that kind of reaction! It's not so much the quirky style as the number of surprises she managed to weave throughout the story. A very clever author, indeed :)

8:05 PM   


Blogger Ally Blake said...

Sharon! I just found your post. And no you didn't email me to tell me you loved this book! But I'll take this post as email enough. I'm chuffed!

Thank-you sooooo much for your lovely comments, and especially for crying ;). You too, Fiona my sweet!

The books that get me everytime are 'Cyrano de Bergerac' by Edmund Rostand - the final line makes me blub every time, I don't even have to read the rest of the play to get the same lip quiver. And John Christopher's 'The Prince in Waiting' trilogy. Another final line that sends me over the edge into pure melodrama.

FYI, 'A MOTHER FOR HIS DAUGHTER' will be released as a Silhouette Romance in North America this December! Stoked, moi?

Ally
http://allyblake.blogspot.com

7:54 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't email you, Ally? I'm seriously starting to think it's about time I switched this head of mine with a model that has more cache.

10:30 AM   


Post a Comment

<< Home