Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  The Halfway House
  This and That
  Today Will Be A Good Day!
  Moved To The Nantwich Writers' Group
  A Day Out
  Name Change
  Poorly Thoughts
  One Third & Counting
  Time Management
  My Canarian Hero
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Easy PC? I Don't Think So!
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Well, I managed to write 1,564 words last night but thanks to my laptop and its quirky little ways, it took about five times as long to write them as ought to have been the case.

The damned thing kept turning itself off! In the middle of a sentence the power would die and everything went black. I'd switch on again, open up my document, start writing and ten minutes later, black screen again! I was saving every 30 seconds or so to make sure I wouldn't lose what I'd written and going slowly doolaley.

I had paid work to do, too. I usually do some site reviews in the evening as they're relatively easy and only take about 15 minutes each but three reviews took about two hours! Can you believe that? I'd log onto the site, start looking around, make a couple of notes and bam! Black screen! Re-boot, log on, take a look around, make a couple.... and so it continued. Then the same old malarkey again when it came to doing the write up.

I'm surprised I have any hair left today!

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to invest in a new laptop whether I like it or not. It's an expense I could definitely do without but I have some money saved for one of those motorised disability scooter things that I was going to get for the summer, but I'll just have to take part of that and the scooter will have to wait. It'd would have been nice to have the scooter to get out and about more with, but that's life. Things don't always work out the way we'd planned them, do they?

I expect the HMB gang who are down at The Savoy are having a good time today and fingers crossed for those who are up for awards. I know they can't all win but I'm sure they're all very worthy candidates. Personally I'd like to see Kate Hardy come home with a prize because she seems such a nice person and nice people always deserve to win. I know that's not the criteria the judges use but I haven't read the book (I've bought it, just haven't read it yet) so I can't judge any other way.

It'll be fun hearing the stories when the romantics start trickling back at the weekend.
Posted by Sharon J on 11:22 AM   

12 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

This computer bloody-mindedness seems to be catching. Reading your tales of technological break-down makes me feel slightly less incompetent. I always assume PCs are a bit like horses-- they can spot a novice at 20 paces and play up on purpose, but if you're having difficulties that can't be the case!

11:36 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sad truth is that, like horses, PCs have a restricted life span. Unfortunately it isn't anywhere near as long as a horse's! Mine starting spitting at me a few months back but because I hate to part with money unless I absolutely have to, I was determined to keep it going. It went to the vet...err, repair shop and had a health check and jabs, but still it's poorly. There's just no cure for age :-(

12:20 PM   


Blogger Bryan Catherman said...

This is tough. I once saw a photo of Hemingway typing away on a typewriter. Everything he wrote was hammered from key to paper. No saving, so find and replace for words, no spell check, no going back right their on the screen to fix broken sentences. Sometimes I think this would help my first draft writing, but re-typing everything just to have a copy would not be fun. When you go look at lap tops, think about a type-writer instead. This might make you jump for joy with that new lap top!

2:44 PM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Get a loan otherwise you'll be in the home for lapless writers before you can say 'oh sh....

8:11 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan. I spent more than enough years banging away at a typewriter so really don't need to look at one to be reminded how easy things are on a computer. In my first job I used one of those big black affairs with honking great keys that you had to smack with all the strength you had, so when I was 'given' a brand new manual Olivetti, it was like all my Christmases had come at one. It wasn't until years later that I had the pleasure of using an electric typewriter and eventually one that had about 3 lines of memory! I was a telex operator in between those typing jobs and using one of those machines was like being in charge of something witches had invented. You could type to people on the other side of the world!

But y'know, I'm glad I had the old fashioned typewriter experience because I believe it has made me think before I write more than I otherwise would have done. You had to back then or the job would never get done!

Minx. I was going to get one on credit but had forgotten to take any proof of identity with me. How daft can you get? I ended up using our holiday money instead so now I'm going to have to work my backside off to earn that back before I have to pay it in July!

10:44 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

The computer is God. OK, I'm being a bit over the top, but without a computer, I think my life would fall apart. I'd be so lost and alone.

;)

Alright, in all seriousness, computer are a pain when they play up. But a writer needs his/her tools of trade, and a typewriter just doesn't fit the bill anymore.

Best of luck with the laptop. I hope it gets well soon, and saves you a heap of money.

5:12 AM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Let's move to the more acceptable word of 'Goddess' shall we Karen? And as for going back to the typewriter, well, you might as well bring back the 'teasmade'along with the 'twintub' and a huge ammount of 'finger stalls' because all of our fingers have gone soft!!

9:04 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen. I'm afraid it's too late for the doctor - the laptop's definitely on its last legs and has now been replaced by a new shiny model. More about that later.

Minx. I wanted to write something like what you said there in my response to Bryan but the comment would have become an epic so I didn't bother.

The world's definitely moved on since the days of typewriters. We don't go to the phone box on the corner anymore because we have mobiles and the phone box is no longer there; we don't sleep with our heads in curlers because we have curling tongs; we don't put our clothes through the mangle because we have washing machines with built-in spin dryers; and we don't use a typewriter because we have computers.

Or shall we all go back to using a quill and ink? Could be an interesting project. I wonder how long it'd take to write a book then?

11:19 AM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh no, mucky fingers!
And anyway what's wrong with mangles, have you got something against them, is it personal?
I've got a mangle, it used to be my mum's and the kids used to pout worms through it until I caught them, then they moved onto snails!!

4:12 PM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear my 'pout' slipped out again

4:13 PM   


Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Sharon,
Regarding your computer issues, you might want to check the battery-is it running low? Maybe the interruptions are from a bad power supply.

Mine was showing low battery and blank screen at times even when I had it plugged in...so I experimented. I replaced the battery-nope still had problems, and then tried the power supply and that did the trick...

Something to think about...

7:19 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa. My battery died months ago so I've been using the power supply. Yes, it could be a dodgy connection there but the thing has so many other issues that it wasn't worth bothering with. The CD player doesn't work so I can't install anything, some of the keys play up so I miss letters when I'm typing (not the best thing to happen to a writer, eh?) and a few other bits and bobs. I'll keep it in case of an emergency but I really don't regret buying a new one.

Thanks for your help, though. It's nice to know there are people out there who are interested enough to make a comment :)

11:38 AM   


Post a Comment

<< Home