Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Reality or Fantasy?
  Llangollen and Hateful Numbers
  Thank You :-)
  Strange Happenings In Nantwich
  Nerdiness
  Uncooperative Heroines and Short Stories
  Proper vs. Improper Writing
  RNA Awards
  Happy Birthday, Willy Waggledagger.
  Downshifting
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
And They Say English Is Easy?
Monday, May 08, 2006
We'll begin with box, the plural is boxes,
but the plural of ox is oxen not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
but the plural of moose is never meese.
You find a lone mouse, or a whole nest of mice,
but the plural of house is houses not hice.
The plural of man is always men,
but shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?
If I speak of a foot and you show me two feet,
but I give you a boot, should a pair be called beet?
The singular's this and the plural is these,
but should the plural of kiss ever be keese?
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
but though we say mother, we never say methren.
The masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
but imagine the feminine she, shis and shim.

I can't take credit for the above and have no idea who wrote it. If you know, drop me a line and I'll add a credit for it.


I've come to the conclusion that Kate Hardy must be one very popular author. Why? Because whenever I check my stats, the link to her blog has always had more outclicks (that's the way in which visitors leave this blog) than any other link. Maybe it's appropriate that I've just started reading her first Modern Extra, "The Cinderella Project".



PS: Don't forget that if you do decide to buy a book after clicking on any of the links on this blog, the commission will go to helping the Nantwich Writers' Group save up to invite guest speakers along to our meetings, arrange outings, etc. And as the mouse said as he stood pee-ing in the ocean, "every little counts".

Posted by Sharon J on 10:58 AM   

10 Comments:
Blogger Elsa said...

Would that make you feel better if I said building plural form is so much absurd in Estonian? ;) Too many sub-types and not uch logic involved :)
And not that it was enough - there are 14 cases (nominative, genitive, partitive, illative, inessive, elative, allative , adessive, ablative, translative, essive, terminative, comitative, abessive) and the system and use of case endings is of much more complexity with too many subtypes :) I get confused all the time...
Just being glad, reading and pronouncing has just very few exceptions... in comparison to English ;)

1:21 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elsa. Thanks for dropping by :) I don't imagine Latvian is the easiest language to learn, no. My daughter lives with a Croatian lad, and his language sounds bad enough! Somehow I can't see her learning it! Mind you, you never know, do you? I'd love to try learning Welsh but... well, we'll see. Getting my tongue around some of those sounds is going to be pretty tricky! I had enough trouble just trying to pronounce Llangollen!

2:53 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard didn't like the photo I was using so I've changed it. He thought the other one made me look old. Nothing strange about that really considering how old I am!

3:42 PM   


Blogger Eva said...

Help!

I had a whole list of singulars and plurals that time and time again trip me up - like alumni and alumnus (not to mention alumna and alumnae) - and I can't find it.

And, Sharon, don't get a mutual friend of ours started on synopsis vs. synopses, not to mention "synopsises".

Gotta find that cheat-sheet or the day is done!

4:31 PM   


Blogger Unknown said...

I writ you a poemses!

5:03 PM   


Blogger Karen Erickson said...

The English language is a mess when you really start to break it down. So much doesn't make any sense! Oh well...

I've only read Kate H's Cinderella Project, I've never read any of her other stuff. But after CP, I want to read more! She's great!

5:16 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eva. I've made a mental note to never mention spelling and synopsis in the same sentence whilst in her presence.

Minx. Is that right?

Karen. I'm still only about 10 pages in but I already love it. It has a fresh, chick-litty feel about it and few authors have such good character depiction after so few pages. If the rest of the book is anything like the start, this won't be my last KH, either.

6:13 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh blimey, I'm really blushing now!

Thanks for the kind words. Really appreciated, as the current book is going like treacle.

9:55 PM   


Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I get loads of hits from Kate's blog, too, Sharon. I also got a load from you yesterday!

7:27 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least treacle's sweet, Kate. And the words weren't kind, as such, they were the truth :-)

Liz. Yes, I noticed that a few had bobbed off in your direction yesterday. I have to admit that the stats fascinate me.

11:33 AM   


Post a Comment

<< Home