Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Proper vs. Improper Writing
  RNA Awards
  Happy Birthday, Willy Waggledagger.
  Downshifting
  Easy PC? I Don't Think So!
  The Halfway House
  This and That
  Today Will Be A Good Day!
  Moved To The Nantwich Writers' Group
  A Day Out
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Uncooperative Heroines and Short Stories
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Chapter seven has just ended with Sherry phoning Leo's house but not wanting to speak to him. She wants to speak to the housekeeper instead, only I don't know why.

It's so frustrating because I hadn't planned this at all and until Sherry tells me why she wants to talk to the housekeeper, I can't move the story along.

I've tried asking her nicely, I've tried threatening to force her into doing something entirely different if she doesn't let me in on the secret soon, and I've tried ignoring her. Nothing has worked. What's a woman to do?

Wait, I suppose.

In the meantime, let's talk about something else.

One of the Nantwich Writers' Group posted a message on the group blog yesterday informing the world (or those inhabitants who visit the site - probably very few as yet) of a competition that Woman & Home are arranging. There's a laptop and £2000 up for grabs so if you're a short story writer, it might be worthwhile having a look.

It's funny because although I love writing, I've never been much use at short stories. I just can't think up many stories that can be given a start, a middle, and an ending within a couple of thousand words. I love reading them and am always in awe of those who are good at it. I just wish I was better at it myself. Is there a key to writing short stories that I don't know about?




PS: I found a very interesting feature on The Telegraph's website today that authors of romantic fiction might want to take a look at.
Posted by Sharon J on 6:36 PM   

5 Comments:
Blogger Susan Rix said...

Thanks for the link to the Telegraph article. It was very interesting, although I'm not sure about her statement that heroines are becoming weaker...? Did I misread that bit? I thought that HMB heroines were on a more equal footing to the heros than ever before. :-/

10:25 PM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Get drunk on White Diamond until the cow gives up her secrets!!

11:16 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mscreativity. I didn't understand that, either. I'm not entirely satisfied that Amanda Craig really knows what she's talking about.

Minx. She's given up the fight. I stole her chocolate.

12:18 AM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't think Amanda Craig is a true fan either. Enjoyed the article, however. Thanks, Sharon.

Did Sherry visit you in your dreams, Sharon, and explain all? Btw, congrats on the word count.

1:56 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeanne. I think she's probably just another one of those journalists who read a few romances in order to be able to whack out a decent-ish article on the subject. But we 'experts' can't be fooled that easily, can we? ;-)

Sherry did indeed come visiting. And now I know her reasoning behind wanting to speak to the housekeeper rather than Mr Drop-Dead Gorgeous, I'm with her all the way :-)

8:08 PM   


Post a Comment

<< Home