Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Thank You :-)
  Strange Happenings In Nantwich
  Nerdiness
  Uncooperative Heroines and Short Stories
  Proper vs. Improper Writing
  RNA Awards
  Happy Birthday, Willy Waggledagger.
  Downshifting
  Easy PC? I Don't Think So!
  The Halfway House
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Llangollen and Hateful Numbers
Friday, May 05, 2006
I hope my absence this week hasn't left anybody thinking we'd fallen foul to killer sheep or been swept off the edge of the Pontcysyllte aqueduct, but if you have been a tidgy bit worried, let me assure you that we're safe and well and had a wonderful time in beautiful Llangollen.

If any of you live within reasonable hitting distance of North Wales and have yet to visit Llangollen, I suggest you remedy that as quickly as your car will carry you.

I'd suggest the train as an alternative, but the only train from the local station is a steam train running an 8 mile length of track to Carrog, a tiny village where stepping onto the station is like stepping back into the Victorian era. What a wonderful place for a writer!

I can honestly say that, so far, of all the places I've visited in the UK the area around Llangollen has to be the prettiest yet! One day, when I'm a disgustingly wealthy author of several best sellers, we'll buy a house there.

We were sad to have to come home on Tuesday, another day at least would have been nice, especially with the weather being so good, but knowing we had the NWG meeting to look forward to in the evening helped.

Iona and Penny had both arranged to surprise us with champagne. What lovely ladies! Iona hasn't actually started blogging on her NWG blog yet but if you nip over to Scribe's Sanctuary you'll find her posting as Imogen (her pen name).

I usually have smoke coming out of my fingers during the days immediately following a writers' group meeting but this time I've written the grand total of zero words. Yepp 'Tis true. Nothing. Zilch. Absolutely jack all! Not a single word.

Disgraceful, isn't it?

I've been busy with my accounts, y'see. I'm one of those people who puts off doing the boring stuff and then regrets it when she's bogged down with it at a later date. Three solid days I've been at it. Downloading and printing out bank statements and online invoices, printing my local invoices, finding all those old till receipts, and getting it all into some kind of order and putting the numbers into the spread sheet! And I'm still not finished!

It's all gotta go to the accountant next week because my daughter's EMA rides on my being below the £35,000 income threshold and I'm blowed if I'm going to have her miss out on that. The state give me a piddling £45.70 a week for looking after my adult son 24/7 so I'm taking what I can get elsewhere! Call me a money-grabber if you like; I don't care, but I'm tired of being taken the piss out of by this government!

Right. Back to the paperwork then...



Posted by Sharon J on 4:49 PM   

3 Comments:
Blogger Debi said...

You're not a money grabber just cos you're trying to get what you're entitled to! Goodness knows they make it hard enough. Don't even think about starting me off on the shenanigans of our various benefit claims ...
You've reminded me too that I have to get our accounts done. There's so little time for everything and writing often seems to take last place, which is s-o-o frustrating.
On the other hand authors who are not engaged with life and can afford to just spend their days looking out over beautiful landscapes, being fed delicious titbits while their brows are mopped with lace-edge hankies, don't necessarily produce better work! Or so I keep telling myself ...

12:28 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son has severe learning difficulties and after living in Norway where these things happen more or less automatically, I couldn't believe the hassle a person's put through in order to receive any kind of help. Three doctors had to test him to make sure he really is retarded (30 seconds in his company is really all that's needed for anybody to know that!) and mounds of paperwork. No, don't get me started either!

I know what you mean about writing tending to come last; it doesn't look as if there's going to be much time for writing during the weekend, either. I've got to take my daughter to have her nose pierced now, then we're going to a barbie tonight and tomorrow's booked by clients whose copy I should have written last week while I was doing the accounts! Oh well... you make your bed... and rather this than a 9-5 job!

1:16 PM   


Blogger Susan Rix said...

Hi Sharon,
Glad you had a wonderful break. You're not money grabbing at all. I've had experience with those mounds of paperwork our Gov try to drown you with, and it's a nightmare!

9:27 AM   


Post a Comment

<< Home