Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Editing
  HMB Book Covers & Some Editing
  Procrastination
  The Luxury of Being Unpublished
  Word Count, Again
  A Nice Weekend
  Almost There
  Am No Longer Fretting
  Too Much Fretting
  The Nerve of the Man!!!
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Modern Extra
Sunday, June 18, 2006
Does anybody know where one can find the guidelines for the ModX line? I can't see them on either M&B or eHarlequin but surely they must be somewhere? Or do you have to already be writing for HMB to write for ModX? No, that doesn't make sense because, as far as I know, Julie Cohen wasn't.

Anybody? Pretty please? With a cherry on the top?

Still busy editing. I'm gonna try getting the first three chapters polished up today so that I can send them off asap, but that depends on what else happens today.

It's my daughter's 20th birthday so she'll be phoning (it's free for her to call me from Norway so she does most of the calling) and that generally means at least an hour's conversation. Richard's planning a bbq and I'm hoping to get to the spooky church tonight (that's our local Spiritualist Church, for those of you who don't know). Will there be enough time left for editing? Watch this space...


LINK OF THE DAY
Do you ever feel uncertain when it comes to punctuating your dialogue? I mean, Should you use a capital to start your speech tag when the dialogue ended with something other than a comma? As in:

"Could you pass me that towel?" she asked.

and

"Watch out!" shouted Jane.

I haven't used capitals, but is that right? Yes? No? Are you sure?

And what about that end comma; should it be inside the quotation marks or not?

"I like that," he said.
"I like that", he said.

Which is correct?

And how do you deal with multi-paragraph quotes? Should you use a new quotation mark at the start of each paragraph or not?

And how about when you're quoting something somebody else said within your dialogue?

If it's all too much for you and you're no longer sure you've been getting it right, take a look at Punctuating Dialogue. It's written by Marg Gilk (whoever she may be) and, unless you're 100% certain of what you're doing, is definitely worth a look.



~~+~~

Technorati Tags: Mills & Boon, Punctuation, Writing Tips, Writing Dialogue
Posted by Sharon J on 1:03 PM   

4 Comments:
Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Sharon! Go to www.eharlequin.com, and at the bottom of the site, there's a link for writing guidelines. They're in there.

Gonna attempt one? I love that line!

6:49 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey, Karen. Where have I been? I was there yesterday and couldn't see it! Doh! Got it now, though. Cheers :)

Am I gonna attempt one. Good question. To be honest, I don't know. I have an idea for a story that I think would fit the line but it'll have to wait until after this Tender's finished. But like I've said, I already have two other stories rattling around wanting to be written so I'm really not sure what's gonna happen. Maybe I should just put them all in a hat and pull out a name?

10:49 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you found it, but just in case:
http://www.eharlequin.com/cms/learntowrite/ltwArticle.jhtml?pageID=050824wu01001

I was writing for Temptation, and then it became Modern Extra. Good luck if you decide to give it a go!

You posted a question on the M&B editors thread on eharl about titles (which is why I wended my way here). It's true that the editors change the titles pretty regularly and what you choose would be in no way permanent. BUT your title is one of your marketing ploys, like a synopsis. It can catch the attention of an editor and convey a lot in a very short time. So while a title probably doesn't make too much difference in the end, it could just get your ms that extra spark of interest.

That's my impression, though the editors may say something different!

Hooray for your submission and good luck!

6:28 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did find it, Julie, thanks.

I was planning to have those first three packaged up and sent off today but if I need a title, that's not going to happen. I'm hopeless at them (also for my articles) so will probably spend at least another week trying to think up something suitable.

Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to try to help. 'Tis much appreciated.

8:40 AM   


Post a Comment

<< Home