Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Writing Can Be A Pain
  I Cried
  Map
  Formula or Not?
  The Group, The Story and The Picnic
  Several Manuscripts in One Place?
  TPN - Total Parenteral Nutrition
  At Last! Bring Out The Booze!
  Naming Characters Part II
  Naming Characters
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Should I or Shouldn't I?
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
About a year ago, a guy who was a member of a famous 70s Glam Rock group expressed an interest in having me write his biography. Unfortunately, a string of events led to us losing contact and it didn't happen. Shame because I think it would have sold reasonably well as he definitely had a story or ten to tell.

For the past few days I've been wondering whether to contact him again to ask whether he's still interested. My only problem is: where is the time going to come from? I'll still need to write the short, quick stuff in order to keep regular money coming in and what with the time I spend on the romance stories—and I'd hate to give up writing them now that I've finally got serious about them—how do I find the time to write the biography?

I'd really like to do it. In fact, I'm happy to do it for a percentage of the royalties rather than a fixed fee plus percentage because he doesn't have a lot to throw about (that's part of the story) and I really believe his story should be told.

Dilemmas. If only I didn't have to do the articles, life would be so very different. But hark at me! Who am I to complain? I get to do what I love doing and that sure as hell beats stacking shelves in Sainsburys!

TODAY'S LINK
Did you know that The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries?

Have a bit of fun - nip along to"Absolutely Useless Trivia".




~~+~~

Technorati Tags: Writing, Biographies, Trivia
Posted by Sharon J on 10:37 AM   

10 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only it were that easy, Cherry. I know I'll always be wondering but how am I going to make a living in the meantime? Give up writing the romances? Oh dear... just the thought of it makes me want to cry (seems there's a lot of that going on at the moment).

8:09 PM   


Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean, Sharon.

On Monday I'm starting a full-time four-month contract with an exciting, up-and-coming IT company, plus I've just been approached to update Flash portfolios in my free time.

The writing is obviously going to have to take third place.

Is it possible to do it here and there when the spirit moves? I'm hoping to take that approach but wonder if it will work. You can always approach the guy and see what he says.

9:26 PM   


Blogger Sharon J said...

Jeanne. I've been wondering about the possibility of doing it 'here and there', too. As far as I know, it's not being written at all at the moment so it's got to be better to have it written slowly than not at all, don't you think?

I'm going to a music festival 'down south' in August and as he's playing there with his present band, I thought I'd take the opportuntity to have a quiet word. Assuming I can catch him, that is.

It's almost 1am. Half an hour on the novel now and then off to bed.

1:01 AM   


Blogger Julie S said...

Wow. Writing a biography like that sounds very cool. At least see if they're still interested... that's a unique opportunity that could open the door to many more!

1:24 AM   


Blogger Sharon J said...

Julie. My other half is the biographer in the house so I'd really be encroaching on his territory so to speak, and to be honest, this isn't really something I want to do in the long-term. I'm only interested in this one because I happened to be a huge fan of the band he played in when I was a teenager and am interested in what was actually going on behind the scenes (evidently a whole lot more than I imagined back then!).

I'll give it until my daughter leaves (she arrives today) and then see how I feel. If I believe I can fit it into my schedule, I'll approach him about it again. I just don't want to rush into something I'll regret and end up churning out a second rate product because of lack of time. But with enough time, it ought to be an interesting project.

10:01 AM   


Blogger Debi said...

From your last comment it's clear that you know what you're doing - in every sense - and will make the right decision.

There was an interesting article in Mslexia re ghostwriting - but you're talking biog, not auto-biog, yeah?

11:44 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest, Debi, I'm not sure what he wants until I speak to him again (assuming I choose to do so). It's a while since this was originally mentioned (at least a year, if not more) and it was never discussed in detail.

12:00 PM   


Blogger Debi said...

Let me know if it's ghosting/autobiog and I'll send you a copy of the article which I'd imagine would be v useful.

11:30 AM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to give *anything* up. If you schedule it in at say 1000 words a week (which'd be what, half an evening a week?) you'll have the best part of it written in a year. And because it'd be special to you - a one-off project - I'm sure your other half would realise you're not poaching on his territory.

Sometimes you need to go with your heart. (Like my local history stuff - I've just realised how much it pays per 1000 words and it's definitely a 'for love' job!)

5:16 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debi. Will do, as soon as I know anything.

Kate. That's true. I could speak to him and suggest taking it as a long term project. I'm getting closer to a decision :)

4:07 PM   


Post a Comment

<< Home