Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  What's Up Doc?
  Site Down
  A Quickie
  Still Alive
  Pretty Pictures
  Flowing Nicely
  Hot 25 Romance Novels
  And They Say English Is Easy?
  Reality or Fantasy?
  Llangollen and Hateful Numbers
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Back
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Ok, shoot me now if you're going to. I know it's ages since I promised I'd post but this is real life and things don't always go as planned. If only I could steer my own relationships the way I can steer Leo and Sherry's!

So what have I been up to? Not a whole lot, would you believe? Well, that's not strictly true but what I mean is not a lot that you'd be interested in. Work, work and more work. You don't want to hear about that, do you? No, I didn't think so. We'll drop that one, then.

What else? Well we've been planning a new kitchen. Not entirely new because we'll be using some of the existing cupboards with new doors, but there will be a lot of changes. New floor, paint walls, many more cupboards. At the moment we don't even have enough storage space to keep serving dishes or anything other than what's considered an absolute necessity. Drives us all batty, it does. But that will change.

Richard thinks I ought to poodle off abroad for a week in July so that he can get on with it alone; I'm not so sure about that, though. The control freak in me wants to stick around and make sure everything's done properly. I mean, when we built our house (no, not this one - I would never have built anything even remotely like this one), the kitchen fitters put the sink in the wrong way round, just because I wasn't there to keep my beady eye on things. And the carpenters put the pine ceiling up the wrong way round (planks going across the room rather than along the room) so that had to come down. And as if that isn't enough, they put a wall in the wrong place so one of the bedrooms became the size of a cupboard! No, I definitely think I'd be happier here, making sure the kitchen ends up the way we've planned it.

What's that I hear you asking? What about the book? Do you really have to ask about that? It hasn't moved, ok? Not a word. I'm sorry if that disappoints but I just haven't had the time. Earning money has to be a priority, and quite honestly, sometimes I'm so damned sick of looking at this computer screen that when I've finished my paid writing, I just can't bear to open the book and work on that.

There's a limit to how many hours a day I can spend stuck in my bedroom with my laptop balanced on my lap! 12 is generally my limit but lately I've been trying to cut that back to 10 maximum because I noticed I was starting to get depressed by being stuck in here too much. There's a life away from the computer, after all.

I'm not going to be doing a lot of paid work today so I might (note that I said might, not that I definitely would) work on the book. On the other hand, if the weather stays dry, I might go outside and plant up my hanging baskets. The plants have been sitting on the patio table for a week now so it's about time I did something about them.

The strange thing is, I do feel guilty for not working on the book. It's not as if I have a deadline with it. It's not even as if anybody's actually waiting for it, but I feel I'm letting myself down. Why's that? Perhaps because my expectations of myself have always been high and I'm just not moving along as quickly as I feel I ought to. I must stop that. The book will be finished when it's finished and until then, life will go on.




PS: My tattoo is now looking very scabby.
Posted by Sharon J on 10:17 AM   

6 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Me too Sharon.

Not a word.

Maybe we need that night out?

11:18 AM   


Blogger Eva said...

I think there must be something going around.

I haven't written more than a few words on my latest wip in over two weeks. And I, too, don't feel all that bummed out about it - just slightly guilty.

1:15 PM   


Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Good luck on the kitchen revamp.

And don't worry about not writing. At the end of the year/beginning of 06 I didn't write for a couple of months. Just couldn't do it. It can't be forced sometimes.

Just try and focus on the other stuff. :)

5:38 PM   


Blogger Susan Rix said...

Something I'm learning about writing this time round - it will still be there when you're ready to go back to it.

As you know, I've been stressing a lot myself lately, then I got ill and the choice was taken away. I've gone through the odd moment wondering "what if the writing doesn't ever come back...", but even though I've stopped letting myself think about it, my characters are still there simmering away... I can feel them. :-)

Now, that's with less than 9,000 words written. You, on the other hand have written over 30,000! I don't think you should worry too much about having some time off from your book. It'll still be there whenever you're ready. (I've decided I'm not going to feel guilty anymore - unless it's procrastination/laziness that's stopping me from doing what I should be doing).

Hmmm... re. the kitchen. On the one hand I'd be tempted to go away and leave them to get on with it. But then I'd probably drive everyone mad with the phone calls checking up..!

3:58 PM   


Blogger Martyn said...

We had a new kitchen fitted last year. Complete chaos for a week it was - but it's nice now :-)

I'm in a similar predicament re the novel writing. I've got my head down in the 'earning work' and I'm not getting anywhere near as much time to get on with the speculative stuff. I'm trying not to get too down about it though. I'll get there in the end.

1:22 AM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Sharon, in Nantwich we redid our kitchen: changed the cupboard doors, added a few new cabinets, new hob, but didn't change the tiles, floor or walls. It took two days - hardly chaos. It was the best thing we ever did to the house and the fitter (one guy!) did a great job.

Take off and don't worry!

1:30 PM   


Post a Comment

<< Home