Nantwich Writers' Group Logo
Nantwich Writers' Group
Sharon J's Writing Blog
Welcome to The Nantwich Writers' Group Web Site
Please feel free to look around - you'll find information about the group's work, our group diary as well as the writing diaries of individual members.
 Home
 About Penny
 Perpetual Story
 News
 Message Boards
 Links
 Bookshelf
 Contact
 Group Blog
 Penny’s Blog
 Sharon’s Blog
 Iona’s Blog
 Chris’ Blog
 Richard's Blog
 Christopher's Blog
 Kate's Blog
 Joan's Blog
 Shirley's Blog
 Carole's Blog
 Kate Allan
 Debi Alper
 Amanda Ashby
 Ally Blake
 Jaci Burton
 Martyn Clayton
 Julie Cohen
 Karen Dindia
 Karen Lee Field
 Liz Fielding
 Kate Hardy
 Fiona Harper
 Jeanne Haskett
 Anna Lucia
 Natasha Oakley
 Kim Rees
 Julie S
 Jack Slyde
 Kate Walker
 Sasha White
 Trish Wylie
 
 All Kinds of Writing
 Another 52 Books
 Characters Journey
 Inner Minx
 Literary Chicks
 MsCreativity
 Scribes' Sanctuary
 Struggling Writer
 The Hopeless Writer
 WriteMinded
 Writesville
 "Knit One, Kill One" by Maggie Sefton
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult
 "Common Ground" by Andrew Cohan
 "Dead Simple" by Peter James
 "When The Devil Holds The Candle" by Karin Fossum
 "Being A Bad Girl" by Julie Cohen
 "The Italian Duke's Wife" by Penny Jordan
 A Wife on Paper - Liz Fielding
 O'Reilly's Bride - Trish Wylie
 A Nanny For Keeps - Liz Fielding
 On Writing - Stephen King
 Acid Row - Minette Walters
 Light As A Feather - Helen Dunne
 A Mother For His Daughter - Ally Blake
  Pretty Pictures
  Flowing Nicely
  Hot 25 Romance Novels
  And They Say English Is Easy?
  Reality or Fantasy?
  Llangollen and Hateful Numbers
  Thank You :-)
  Strange Happenings In Nantwich
  Nerdiness
  Uncooperative Heroines and Short Stories
Powered by Blogger

Child

Locations of visitors to this page

Number of online users in last 3 minutes


Zokutou word meter
Sherry & Leo
Rejected by HM&B
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
Darcie & Alex
17,221 / 55,000 (31.3%)
Still Alive
Friday, May 12, 2006
My apologies for not posting earlier but I've been inundated with work and when the bills need paying, turning work away is not a good idea.

Anyway, I did it and here's the proof:



It's pretty, isn't it? It's the tattoo you're meant to be looking at, not the leg that looks like a plucked chicken. It isn't that blurred in real life, it's just that my camera doesn't like close-ups too much and trying to hold it and twist my ankle in order to get a picture was a nightmare!

I have to admit that I did consider calling to say I wasn't coming but figured if other people were brave enough to have it done then so would I be. And quite honestly, those of you who said it hurts were either winding me up or you're a bunch of whuzzes. Uncomfortable? Yes. Sore? Yes. Painful? No, not really.

My idea of pain is far worse than the sensation caused by a tattoo needle and if I had to describe it, I'd say it was more like being scratched by a pin than anything else. Richard asked if it was maybe like being touched on a burn but no, not that bad. Scratched, that's all.

In fact, I was so relieved that it wasn't worse than I'm now considering going back to have the spider put on my shoulder! Not just yet, though.

As for writing, nothing much has happened. No, that's not strictly true because I've spent quite a bit of time working out some plot changes that I need and which haven't come easy. I think I'm there now though and can get on with the actual writing. If there's one thing that's certain, writing consists of far more than just putting words on paper.

It's for that reason that I don't really understand those who can have "word competitions" because... well... does it really matter how many words you've written on any given day? One person may have written 3,000 words while the other spent her time researching or working on the plot. Oh well, each to their own and if it helps them get on with their work then it can't be a bad thing.

My daughter and I went to town after the tattoo was finished and I was very good. We went in Ottaker's to buy her a book but I didn't buy any for myself. I have to admit that I almost did but she reminded me of the fifty that are on the "waiting to be read" shelf and steered me away from the Val McDermid I'd dipped into.

I wasn't quite as good at the library today, though. I swore I would only loan research books that were pertinent to the series of articles I'm writing, but there in the nice hessian bag that was bought from the library a few months back was an M.C. Beaton novel. Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet, to be precise. Will I get time to read it before it has to go back? I'm blowed if I know but online renewals are a wonderful thing :-)



PS: Just noticed that Ally Blake has written something about the word competition she has with Natasha Oakley. It's a response to a comment I made on her blog and is quite interesting. It certainly proves that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Posted by Sharon J on 11:54 PM   

8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The tattoo looks nice, Sharon. And well done in not buying yourself a book when you had the chance. Next time, maybe. :)

1:47 AM   


Blogger Debi said...

Tattoo looks great! Just goes to show that everyone has different pain thresholds/tolerance. Maybe the buildup was so horrific nothing could match up to the reality? That could be a dengerous theory - followed to its natural conclusion it could make you feel you should always expect the worst so that if it happens you're not surprised and if it doesn't, you get a PLEASANT surprise. Which could be seen as justification for terminal pessimism ...
As for word counts I've expressed my feelings before re them not being the only (or necessarily the best) way to measure productivity. Think it was James Joyce who once said something along the lines of 'Today was a good day. I wrote 2 words. Though I'm not yet sure what order they go in!.

12:13 PM   


Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa Neddy!
Research (local, amongst body painted friends that is)shows that one tattoo always leads to thoughts of another. Enjoy this one before thinking about becoming the next Tattooed Lady and running away with the circus!!

1:09 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen. I was very proud of myself, on both accounts :)

Debi. You're right there, it could be dangerous. I'd hate to turn into an eternal pessimist just so's I wouldn't be surprised if something bad happened. What a life! The decider for me was really the fact that I had a Broviac line put in with only local anaesthetic. It was pretty painless the first time but the second time it was quite nasty because the anaesthetic didn't work on the original scar tissue. I figured if I could put up with that (having a hole made in my chest and a long plastic tube threaded down a vein), how bad could a tattoo be? Loved the James Joyce quote!

Minx. The circus? Now there's an idea for a story! I'm sure the spider will appear one day but not yet. Because of circulation problems, things take ages to heal on me so I'll probably still be hiding my ankle from the sun come October! No brown legs for me this year! As I want the spider on my shoulder, having it done in autumn would mean it'd have a chance to heal before thoughts of strappy tops returned. Mind you, things could be worse: I could get my lip pierced!

1:35 PM   


Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Nice tattoo, Sharon! Glad to hear it didn't hurt.

I've known plenty of people who once they get one tattoo, they get another and another and another...very addictive.

If I came home with one my husband would probably freak. But I've always wanted one. Really. Maybe someday...

4:55 PM   


Blogger Eva said...

The tattoo looks gorgeous, Sharon. Good for you for going through with it. (The closest I'll ever get is the henna tattoo I got in Dubai.)

As for word count, I think we have to take a broad view...say over a week or even two. Yesterday all I managed was a bit of research and some notes in preparation for next week's chapter; still, I'm pleased enough with the week's overall word count.

6:37 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen. Richard was very supportive of the tattoo being done, even though he's not 'into' tattoos, as such. He's really not the type to tell me what I can and can't do, but then I think he knows I'm a stubborn mare - the more somebody tells me I shouldn't do something, the more likely I am to do it. Not always good for me!

Eva. Yes, the broad view sounds good to me. Few words on paper but lots of thinking, that's me this week. I'll blog about that when I get back from Leicester.

2:21 PM   


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherry. When I'm actually putting words on the page, I very rarely stop to think. It's the only way I can really get things flowing. Once I've finished, I'll then go back and re-write/edit until I think it makes sense.

7:48 PM   


Post a Comment

<< Home